The teaching of high-quality PE is very important to us at Grange Park. Through PE our children face challenges, learn resilience and teamwork which reinforce our school values. Most importantly through the wide range of sports and activities our children get to experience, they are all able to find enjoyment in physical activities. PE at Grange Park is taught through the Val Sabin scheme of work.
Our PE provision is both progressive and develops the fundamental skills at an age-appropriate level. All classes from Year 1 have two PE lesson a week; one indoor based lesson (dance or gymnastics) and one outdoor based lesson (games, athletics or OAA). In addition to this, all Year 5 children have swimming lessons.
Our PE curriculum teaches children how to:
• Master basic movements including running, jumping, throwing and catching, as well as developing balance, agility and co-ordination, and begin to apply these in a range of activities
• Participate in team games, developing simple tactics for attacking and defending
• Perform dances using simple movement patterns.
• Use appropriate vocabulary to describe what they and others are doing and be able to watch and copy the actions of others.
• Recognise how their bodies feel when they are active and understand that exercise improves health, makes them feel good and helps the body work well. • understand and play to the rules of the game
Our PE provision is widely enhanced through further sporting opportunities. Each year, we aim for all of our children in Key Stage Two to be given the opportunity to represent the school in a sporting event. We regularly compete in friendly and competitive football matches as well as entering competitions for cross country, rugby, table tennis, tennis, athletics, cricket, archery, gymnastic, new age curling, hockey, dance, basketball, netball, boccia, quidditch, cricket and multi-skills.
We also offer a range of sporting after school clubs; some being delivered by school staff and others by outside agencies. These include: Football, Netball and Gymnastics.
To view our PE Curriculum Road Maps, please click the below PDF links: