Early Years undertake an induction programme for parents and children when entering Nursery. Over a number of weeks, nursery children will build up to a 15 hour placement. Reception children spend the first week in September building up from a shortened day to a full week. Where pupils have additional needs on entry to Nursery or to Reception, a deferred entry may be agreed in discussion with parents and other agencies.
Pupils with additional needs who join our school, either at the beginning of the year or during the academic year, will be supported, as appropriate, so that a successful transition is achieved. The school works together with the Local Authority where a child is starting our school with a Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) to ensure that they are appropriately supported in conjunction with parents.
Key Stage 1 and 2
• All children have a transition session prior to moving to their next class.
• Staff meet and share information prior to transition.
• Provision map meetings are held to discuss the needs of children with SEND. These meetings are attended by SEND staff, the new teacher and TAs to ensure all additional needs and support is discussed.
Transfer to Secondary school
• The SENCo arranges SEND transfer meetings with the Secondary school's SENCo/Key staff/ Learning mentor, prior to transfer.
• Staff from Secondary schools visit school and meet children in their Year 6 class and speak to Yr 6 staff.
• Extended transition sessions can be arranged to ensure a successful transition for pupils with additional needs.